Thursday, July 26, 2007

RefLib?

Hi. I go by clevceo on my blogs. My blogs are about my progress as an amateur indie software developer (who has yet to complete a single project). You may have read some of my other blogs. I have three others:

Clev - I hope to one day run a successful software company (Clev) and this blog is where I share my ideas of what this company might be like.

Clev Idea Development Diary - This was the first project I started, which triggered my decision to start these blogs and begin thinking forward with my career.

Clev Sever Development Diary - This is the second project I've started; a video game. This is where most of my focus has been the past few months.

RefLib Development Diary - The blog you are reading right now.

RefLib is merely a working title. I was commissioned by my boss (I currently work in my university library) to create this game. He was planning to create it himself until he realized it would be too much work, so he decided to outsource it to myself and a former cooworker. I'd rather put my effort into Sever right now, but RefLib has a deadline: mid-september. Besides, it's smaller in scale and is guaranteed to return.

RefLib is a simple computer game that puts you in the role of a reference librarian, answering any question that your patrons have, such as "What year was Elvis Presley born?" or "What's the current birthrate in China?". Each question answered earns you money, and you can be promoted to higher positions if you earn enough. You have a time-limit for each question, and the amount of money you earn depends on how fast you answer it. If you take too long, the patron will leave. If too many patrons leave, you're fired.

Technically, this game isn't a Clev game because I'm collaborating with two people outside Clev to create it, and Clev currently consists of one person: me. Nevertheless, I started the url, clevreflib, with clev in order to make it easier to remember, as all my blogs start with clev. Anyway, I wasn't planning on dedicating an entire blog to RefLib, but I've found that keeping a development diary helps me to think my projects through. It gets my mind rolling. That is the primary reason for this blog's existence.

I hope you enjoy this blog. I wish I could keep moving on Sever, but I'm pretty caught up at the moment. However, chances are I'll get bored with RefLib and spend a few days on Sever, but I can't say when that will happen. Anyway, please comment if you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks for reading.

clevceo

No comments: